Is age a problem?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by bossa, Mar 9, 2007.

1. bossa

bossa Bit Poster

Hi all
    I hope this is the right section of the forum to post this question.
    After a lot of thought I have decided to try and get into the IT industry. My main concern is am I too old , I'm 49 ?. The nice man from Advent said age is not a factor and that employers were looking for experience and this is what Advent could get me through the work placement. After browsing through the forum I'm coming to the conclusion the the self study would be my best course of action as the thought of near on £5000 is a bit much for me. Then the ugly question of age crops up will anyone give me a job after getting Compti A+ on my own ?. (I have thought of starting out on my own just helping people locally.I have been self employed all my working life ).
    I am definate on doing something in IT . Everyone around me says I should, as I seem to be the one who sorts out all my friends and relatives PC problems.
    Any advice wil be much apreciated.
    Cheers
    Steve

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Bossa,

Don't let age be an issue as in the UK is now illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age. It seems like your on the right track so I'd say go with your instincts and work hard at attaining your career aspiration.

The IT job market is very competitive with lots of talented and qualified personnels so just get as much experience hands on as you can. Cheerio:blink

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I know a few people who had gotten started in IT who were as old as you are and are now doing quite well.

Self study is definitely your best option - I certainly recommend it. I have yet to take a training course for any of my certifications.

Nobody can guarantee you a job. If you want job placement, there are plenty of job placement agencies that won't require you to pay 5 grand for the privilege, you know? :)

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with the opinions already shared, 49 isnt too old, you still have a good 15-20 years in your employment life yet! :)

Also, if your still not sure, self study would be the best option because if you change your mind or realise IT isnt for you, you have lost out!

Good luck with ur IT Career mate.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. bossa

bossa Bit Poster

Thanks guys
    When the Advent guy said age wasnt a problem I was a bit sceptical.. like the "if your selected you can enrol" line.sure there are people that really arent suitable but at the end of the day they want your money..right?
    The guy from Advent said I was "made for MCSE" wow was I chuffed. I would love to pay the big bucks, but the long term debt doesnt sound too attractive. I have been out of work through illness for 3 years .my work was very physical and I'm unable to return to it. Since I fell ill I got into using the computer and now Im totally obsessed! so I guess it makes sense to try and make it pay, if only a little.Unfortunately I don't get any help from the Goverment as my wife works ,but I'm going to ask if there is anything they can do. I did ask if I could get help to be retrained a couple of years ago but was fobbed off with the "No funding available".
    Will see what happens, going to invest in some learning material mentioned in one of the self study thread and get going.
    Steve:)

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

There's some excellent advice here, all I can add to it.
    is you don't know until you try, and if you don't try you be kicking yourself for the rest of your life.

What's the alternative?
    Give up and take a job which your heart is not in it?
    Some people see age as a huge barrier and get hung up on it they don't see it for what it really is.

You have maturity, time management skils, life skills and responsibilty. If you decide to take the plunge then CF can show you the way, but you have to take the first step, we can't push you.

Once you start on the IT journey it's a hell of ride and you'll wonder why you didn't start it before:biggrin

Good luck8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Good luck and hope you do it.

Me? I wish I'd become a plumber instead. More money, no recertification, no keeping up with new technology, no undertanding new stuff every week, no upgrading hardware, no upgrading software especially $ickroMoft, no BSOD, no wtf does this not work etc etc.

But thats me.

You can and should be able to do it if you really want to and there is nothing that will hold you back. The best thing is that even if you find it difficult to find a job, there are loads and loads of 'homers' that you can do to gain experience (that is how I did it) and then get a few smaller companys and expand from there. Within 2 years max you will have enough under your belt to be considered for a good position.

So in conclusion - good luck and like everything, if you stick to it you will succeed. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  8. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Here is an excellent link to check out thanks to tripwire45

Ckick me :D

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Plumber? which planet do you live on oggler, you think Plumbing is easy? Just change a washer in a tap and get paid £45 for doing it?

Plumbers have to take a course as well, in the papers they say Plumbers get £45k per year, what they forget to mention is that you have to have the qualifications behind your, work seven days a week and be on call 24/7.

To install a boiler you need a corgi qualification, just get corgi registration which expires every year. Then there's that crap in the paper that Australia is screaming out for plumbers, but what they don't say is when you get there you have to retrain as a plumber over there because the systems are different to over here.

My mate's just got his qualification in Plumbing and is on £5.50 per hour - slave labour.8)

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just like working in IT :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. dakster78

dakster78 New Member

Like you, bossa, I'm starting out in IT at the same age as you, and also having had to give up my previous career for health reasons. To be honest i knew instinctively that IT would be the best way forward for me. I couldn't think of any other path that i would be interested in, find enjoyable and hopefully gain employment. I know that the age factor is against me but that would be the case anyway ( and even more so in some types of work); I think of the positives eg maturity, "soft" skills etc that i can bring to a job along with the certs.

I'm really enjoying my training so far, should be doing the A+ exam soon and looking forward to getting more certs.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+ Essentials, A+ IT Technician, N+
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Steve, I beleive that age may be a factor when applying for some jobs, it all depends on the attitude of the interviewer, of course they are not going to say you are too old but they may be thinking it. Employers look for people that will 'fit in' so to speak, with their existing staff, if their current staff are all in their twenties, this could potentially negatively affect your chances. However, this does not mean that you have no chance, you have other life experiences to bring to the table. If IT is your passion and if you think you can hack it with the young pro IT geeks, go for it, remember though that the competition is tough.

Pete.. a 51 year old self employed IT forum junkie 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. Rearl

Rearl Bit Poster

I'm from Florida USA and I'm 67 years old. I have skills in all the construction trades and am currently working as a maintence man for the local housing authority. I just recently passed the A+ and am getting ready for the network+. I'm still in good physical health but you don't know when it will end. Like a lot of other people I'm facinated with technology. More people are going to be first time computer buyers and will need help. My mother is still alive at 87. If I'm lucky enough to be like her, that gives me 20 years! I own my house and have a building outside for computers. Within the next year I plan to be working for someone or advertising and working on my own. So from where I sit 40 is a baby :cry:

Certifications: A+601 602
    WIP: network+
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Well said dakster78:rocks

Good luck with your studies

15. bossa

bossa Bit Poster

Thanks to all for your positive comments and advice.:)

@dakster78 are you doing self study or have opted for a coures?

16. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi Steve

(great christian name by the way) I'm 47 been in IT for 2 years now. Had multiple jobs mostly contracting but now permanent working in the data storage sector. My age has actually been a benefit believe it or not as I'm customer facing and obviously being mature am able to use lifes experiences in difficult situations. So head up and go for it ;)

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm 52 and haven't experienced any issues getting jobs because of my age. Just go for it. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. Tom3

Tom3 New Member

Don't be put off-- you can do it!
    Self study has to be the best option.
    I have decided to go that route.
    You can always find help in these forums if you ever get stuck!!
    Certification information is on Microsoft, CompTIA, Sun etc websites. There are various books/CDROM etc associated with any and each corresponding exam-- see their websites.
    Regards,
    Tom3

Certifications: none
    WIP: deciding