Got myself a job in IT!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Dazimus, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Dazimus

Dazimus Bit Poster

Just wanted to post that I've got myself a job in IT and would like to say thanks to everyone on this board for all of the advice, encouragement in posts I've read to keep applying and sticking with it (you'll see what I mean soon) and for the help on passing my A+ :)

Basically, being 27 years old and spending the last four years in call centre's, I'd been wanting an IT job since I left school but never got around to it due to various reasons. However, since I met my girlfriend who is very ambitious and currently undergoing her Masters at uni, she gave me a bit of a push.

I started studying for my A+, although I knew quite a lot of the material already, and booked my exams in for two months time and studied while I could. I passed my A+ first time (2003 objectives) around May and was delighted that I now finally had a shot of getting the job in IT I wanted. I knew experience was the main thing employers look for but I hoped my qualification might give me a nod when applying for entry level jobs.

I visited my local PC World and spoke to to manager asking for voluntary experience. He gave me the opportunity to work in their Tech Guys department for a few hours after work two days a week. I applied for quite a few jobs, even jobs that asked for experience but seemed pretty entry level or not far off. My reasoning was that it was worth a shot and I was only losing the time to email my CV and type a covering letter. I also uploaded my CV to loads of sites and refreshed my CV every week to keep it on the top of the search piles.

I was getting calls off agencies but they were offering me jobs on £12k a year and still in call centres (which there was no way I was staying in) but I couldn't seem to get the jobs I wanted of being a technician but not on phones. So I kept applying ... and applying.

Then I got a phonecall on the way to work, I'd applied for a job and they were offering me an interview, I couldn't remember the job and couldn't talk much as I was on the bus but I agreed to go and they would email me details of the job. When I seen the email, my eyes lit up and I couldn't believe what I had an interview for, it seemed exactly what I was after! Deskside Support Engineer for a company that works across Europe and works with some pretty large companies who want to use their services. It asked for the applicant to be qualified to MCP level (of which the only qualification I had was A+) and for prior experience in the role (of which I had none).

So I went for the interview and was asked what experience I had with IT and what I know about various problems and how I would fix them. One question which stood out was I was asked what I knew of Citrix, to which I responded I didn't know anything about it and rather than lie and try to make out I did know, I'd rather be up front and tell them. They also asked about how I came to work for PC World and why I chose to work voluntarily. I sat through a short quiz/knowledge test to see what I knew and to give them an idea of what kind of person they were interviewing. I came out of the interview thinking I'd answered some questions terribly and though I did okay on the test, I wasn't too confident at all.

After a week I hadn't heard anything, so I called the HR centre and asked if there was any progress. They informed me that my application was the only one they were processing and it looked as good as it could be at the time! I didn't want to get too excited until I had concrete news, so I waited longer. I then got a call off the Operations Manager who interviewed me asking me to send a copy of my passport and then they should be able to make me an offer!! I couldn't believe it!!

So a couple of weeks went by, and I got my contract in the post. I've just finished my first week, and although it's been quiet, the jobs I've been out on have gave me a taste for what I will come across and I love it :) It's exactly what I've wanted to do since school and I still can't believe I've got this job. £17k salary along with a company car/allowance ... for my first job in IT?! It feels like a dream, like someone is playing a joke on me!

How did I get the job? I spoke to my team leader and said I can't believe I got the job and how my interview went. He said he spoke to the guys who interviewed me and although I didn't answer all of their questions quite how they wanted, and I didn't get all of the questions on the quiz, it was my "moral enthusiasm" that got me the job. They liked my enthusiasm and the fact I haven't sat around and not done anything to chase a job in IT. I definately think my time in PC World helped (I'd only been there a month or two) as well as self-funding my A+ studies and exam fees.

So hopefully my story will give some people encouragement! It's not always about experience. Proof that sheer determination can be enough to get you the job that techically may be out of your reach, but with effort you CAN make it and get what you want! :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done mate :D

Theres hope for me yet

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Well done :thumbleft

WIP: Exchange
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

well done. and welcome.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Dazimus. Well done. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Congrats and well done. welcome to the IT crowd:D

Best of luck in your new job.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i'm with you i just landed my first real IT job, not counting call center garbage, with a school system. the pay isn't terrible either. 47k a year.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  9. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Well done Daz, sounds like your determination payed off. :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Awesome post! Well done, mate! :D

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

That could be 'sticky' quality :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  13. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congratulations!:thumbleft

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for giving hope to the ones still trying!!:thumbleft :clap

Well done:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad to hear your wonderful story on landing this job as hard work coupled with determination does pay off. Well done:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Well done! :cheers And welcome

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  18. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

yes a very well done and great story.

it just shows that a person's character can be as influential as someone;s experience.

good luck mate and keep up the good work.

i myself really need to pull my finger out and start studying again. as summer ends, i;ve prob got more excuse to stay in.

Certifications: 271
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  20. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Congrats

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+